The selection committee puts together nominee booklist titles, selected from top votes and write-ins from the previous school year by the children of Hawai'i. Any favorite, well-written book following the below eligibility guidelines may be nominated. Email nominations to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The book must be a work of fiction (imaginary stories made up by the author) suitable for grades 4-6.
- The book must have been written by a living author who has not won the Nēnē Award in the last six years (since 2007).
- The book must have been published within the last 6 years (2007 or later).
- The book must not have been on a previous nomination list, with the exception of the top vote-getting titles carried over from the previous year.
Before voting on a book (one vote only!), try to answer these questions:
- What is the best book you have read?
- Would many children enjoy reading this book?
- Does the book have an interesting story (plot), good writing (style) to
help in the enjoyment of the reading and memorable characters (people or animals)?
- Does the book have something important to say (theme)?